What you need:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder (choose hot or mild, depending on your preference)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp flour
- 150ml red wine (optional)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml vegetable stock (550ml if you aren’t using the wine)
- 2 tbsp Meridian Smooth Almond butter
- 2 x 400g tin green lentils, drained
- 400g tin pinto beans, drained
- 1 tsp cocoa
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly, until they start to soften. Add the carrots and pepper to the pan, stir well, put the lid on and cook for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle in the chilli, paprika and cumin and cook for a minute. Stir in the tomato puree then sprinkle over the flour, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Pour in the red wine, if using, and stir well. Add the tin of tomatoes and continue to stir as you add the stock.
Bring to a simmer then stir in the almond butter, lentils, beans and cocoa. Season well.
Leave the chilli to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally,until the sauce has thickened.
Serve with your choice of rice, nachos or tacos and avocado, salsa, coriander and lime.