What you need:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder (choose hot or mild, depending on your preference)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp flour
- 150ml red wine (optional)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml vegetable stock (550ml if you aren’t using the wine)
- 2 tbsp Meridian Smooth Almond butter
- 2 x 400g tin green lentils, drained
- 400g tin pinto beans, drained
- 1 tsp cocoa
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly, until they start to soften. Add the carrots and pepper to the pan, stir well, put the lid on and cook for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in the chilli, paprika and cumin and cook for a minute. Stir in the tomato puree then sprinkle over the flour, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine, if using, and stir well. Add the tin of tomatoes and continue to stir as you add the stock.
- Bring to a simmer then stir in the almond butter, lentils, beans and cocoa. Season well.
- Leave the chilli to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally,until the sauce has thickened.
Serve with your choice of rice, nachos or tacos and avocado, salsa, coriander and lime.