Meridian's Mince Pies
Makes 12 mince pies
What you need
- 2 cups ground almonds (alternatively can also use flour)
- 3 heaped tbsp Meridian Smooth Almond Butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Pinch salt
- Splash of coconut milk
- 1 jar Meridian mince pie filling
1. Start by preheating your oven to 170C.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together the ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
3. In a saucepan, gently melt together the almond butter and maple syrup until smooth. Stir.
4. Stir together the almond butter mixture with the ground almond mixture until it starts to come together. Add a splash of coconut milk - 1 tsp at a time, stirring in between each addition - until the mixture comes together into a smooth dough (we needed 1.5 tbsp).
5. Chill the dough for 20 minutes until it's firm enough to handle. Take 3/4 of the dough to make the pastry cases, setting aside the remainder of the dough for the stars on top.
6. Between two sheets of baking paper, roll out your dough. Use round cookie cutters to cut out 12 rounds of dough. Press the dough into muffin tins (we used a silicone muffin pan), ensuring you press it up the sides. Place in the oven to bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
7. In the meantime, roll out your remaining dough and cut out 12 stars using cutters.
8. Remove pastry from the oven and spoon in your mince pie filling (1 heaped tsp per pie). Top with the stars and brush each with a coating of coconut milk.
9. Place back in the oven to bake for a further 10-12 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool, then eat and enjoy!